A FRAMEWORK FOR BUILDING LOCAL POWER
Building power and strengthening organizing infrastructure at the local level is critical to any sustainable change. SISTA Fire Rhode Island (RI) will focus on developing a network of young women of color leaders to advance racial and economic justice in the state.
SISTA Fire RI will support women of color to play an active political role in Rhode Island, beginning in Providence, and then spreading to other areas such as Central Falls, Pawtucket, Woonsocket, and rural areas. SISTA Fire RI will center women of color in this work, support their political development, help them change the structures that currently marginalize them, and make the economic stability of its membership a priority.
SISTA FIRE IS BUILDING A SPACE WHERE:
- Women of color will work collectively to increase our political development and leadership capacities to effectively address issues of structural racism that directly impact our lives;
- Women lead with a bold vision for our lives and our community;
- Members support one another in everyday life and build a strong economic future;
- Everyone can bring their whole selves and know they will be honored, valued and respected, and that together we will grow, learn and fight for justice;
- As change agents, we will build our collective power for social, economic and political transformation;
- We will fight to change the culture, policies and systems impacting our lives and identify/create alternatives that improve the quality of life in our communities;